CBT conference presentations
National and international conference presentations, lecture requests and media coverage
1. National conference on trauma and psychosis. Invited speaker. Trauma and Anger. Nottingham October 2011
2. National conference on trauma and psychosis. Invited speaker. Trauma and Bipolar Disorder. Nottingham October 2011
3. Association of Accredited Social Workers annual conference (Invited speaker), Manchester University May 2011. Treatment of bipolar disorder
4. BABCP SIG Manchester University July 2011 - Presidents address
5. BABCP SIG Opening address- Lancaster May 2010
6. Kvarterhuset (Cultural Centre). One day invited lecture and training. November 30th 2009. Trauma and psychosis. Copenhagen, Denmark.
7. North West assertive outreach annual conference. Manchester November 24th 2009. Rethinking Psychosis.
8. Merseyside BABCP. Invited address. September 24th 2009. Ashworth Hospital Education Centre. Trauma and psychosis
9. World Hearing Voices Network first Annual conference. Maastricht Holland. September 17th 2009 The CASL Campaign 2009.
7. Intervoice 20th anniversary conference. Maastricht Holland. September 16th 2009 Schizophrenia: Time for a change.
8. BABCP annual Conference. Exeter July 2009 The role of service users in Mental Health research and Teaching.
9. Asylum Associates Conference. Accrington June 2009 Recent advances in the treatment of bipolar disorder.
10. Australian Hearing Voices network and Richmond fellowship Perth. Australia. October 2008, Keynote address. CASL The Campaign for the Abolition of the Schizophrenia Label
11. Australian College of Psychiatric Nurses annual conference. Keynote address. Trauma and psychosis. Melbourne Australia, October 2008
12. Magdalen Fiddler Memorial Lecture. Manchester University March 2008. Opening address .Alternatives to Psychiatry. With Professor Marius Romme
13. Asylum Associates conference. Recovery and beyond. The schizophrenia diagnosis. Penrith, May, 2008
14.Manchester University annual Student research conference. A case study in the treatment of post traumatic stress disorder. Manchester University June 2008
15. Hearing Voices Network. National Conference. CASL - The Campaign for The Abolition of the Schizophrenia Label. The University of East London, Jan 29th 2009
16. University of Nottingham research Café. Jan 25th 2008. Trauma and Hallucinations.
17. International association for the Psychotherapy of Schizophrenia and the other Psychoses. Auckland New Zealand. November 15th. Keynote address: CASL - The Campaign for the Abolition of the Schizophrenia Label
18. International Association for the Psychotherapy of Schizophrenia and the other Psychoses. Auckland New Zealand. November 14th 2007. Successful partnerships between service users and Universities: The UK Experience
19. Together - Working with and Accepting Voice Hearing. Sep 14th 2007. Hearing Voice Network. National Conference, London. Rethinking Psychosis
20. CASL - Campaign for the Abolition of the Schizophrenia Label. Thornton Hall Merseyside. September 11th 2007. Opening address
21. Hearing voices- Telling Stories. Lincolnshire NHS recovery. June 6th 2007 Rethinking psychosis
22. Research showcase. Manchester University. May 22nd 2007. CASL- The Campaign for the Abolition of the Schizophrenia Label
23. National Self Harm conference. Manchester Conference Centre. April 18th 2007. Self-Harm in Psychosis
24. Mental Health Research Showcase: Advancing Mental Health through Research. October 30th - Nov 1st 2006. Banff, Canada. Childhood Trauma and Psychosis: Asking the Difficult Questions
25. National Psychiatric Nursing Research Network Conference. Sept 27th - 29th, Oxford 2006. Training nurses to Ask About and Respond to Disclosures of Childhood Abuse
26. British Association of Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapists. 1 day workshop with Dr John Read and Peter Bullimore (Hearing Voices) July 19th - 21st July, Warwick 2006. Asking about and Responding to Childhood Trauma in Users of Psychiatric Services
27. Hearing Voices Network 15th annual International conference. Manchester, September 2005. The Launch of CASL. Campaign for the Abandonment of the Schizophrenia Label
28. The International Association for the Psychological Treatments of Schizophrenia and the other Psychoses (ISPS). June 13th - 16th, Madrid 2006.Childhood Trauma and Psychotic Symptoms in the Major Mood Disorders
29. The International Association for the Psychological Treatment of Schizophrenia and the other Psychoses (ISPS). June 13th - 16th, Madrid. Workshop. How to ask Questions about Trauma
30. The Welsh PSI Interest Association. 16th - 17th March 2006. The University of Bangor. The Trauma Model of Psychosis
31. National Conference of Approved Social Workers. Birchwood, 1st July 2005. Resilience and Recovery in Psychosis
32. British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists. Canterbury 20th -23rd July, 2005.Childhood trauma and psychosis in bipolar affective disorder
33. Current advances in Psychiatric Care Conference (Astra Zeneca). Warrington, 1st Dec 2005. The Trauma Model of Psychosis
34. National Psychiatric Nursing Research Network Conference. 28th -30th Sept 2005, Oxford. Childhood Trauma and Psychosis
35. European Psychiatric Nurses association. Amsterdam Feb 10th -12th 2005. The Relationship between Childhood Trauma and Psychosis
Debates and Press conferences
1. Institute of Psychiatry, Maudsley Hospital London. Public Debate. This House Believes Child Abuse is a Cause of Schizophrenia. June 14th 2006
2. Science and Media Centre, Albermarle Street London. The Launch of CASL (Campaign for the Abolition of the Schizophrenia Label) .
University of Edinburgh Department of Academic Psychiatry 2004
University of Keele Department of Academic Psychiatry 2005
University of Manchester Department of Psychology, Department of Nursing
University of Sunderland
University of Manchester Department of Social Work 2002 -2006
University of Liverpool 2003 - 2006
Liverpool John Moore's University
University of Central Lancashire 2004 - 2006
University of North Staffordshire 2005
University of Lincoln 2004
University of Nottingham 2003-2006
University of Ayr 2003
University of Reading
Hearing Voices Network - Sheffield 2005
General Media coverage of Research interests.
1. Radio. BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour, BBC Radio 5 Live, Revolution Radio,
BBC Radio Manchester, BBC World Service (Moscow), BBC Radio 4 You and Yours
2. Scientific Press. New Scientist, Medicine Today (USA), Nurse Researcher,
British Medical Journal
3. Newspaper Coverage. London times, Guardian, Edinburgh Evening News, North Staffordshire Evening Sentinel, Newsday (New York). Die Welt (Munich), New York Times, The Big Issue, Auckland Herald New Zealand, The Scotsman, The Australian, The Scottish Herald
4. Web coverage. Reuters Online, BBC Online, Higher Education Research on line, Mind and Brain Online, Mind central Online, Science Daily Online, Medicineworld.org, Patient Health International.com, British Satellite Network, CNN online